About the Institute
The Ghanapriya Women’s College, Imphal - A NAAC accredited college, more popularly known as G.P Women’s College is a premier college in the state. It was established in 1965 with the specific purpose of taking care of the girl students studying in various co-educational colleges in the state and also in fulfillment of the demands of a wide spectrum of educationists and intellectuals who had been clamouring for a long period of time for such a separate college exclusively mean for girls. From among the people who had the same enthusiasm in the establishment of the institution, Shri H. Dwijamani Dev Sharma generously donated a sum of rupees one lakh and the college was christened as the Ghanapriya Women’s College after the name of his mother.
The college stands at the very heart of the Imphal city surrounded by the Raj Bhavan of the South, Imphal Central jail on the North, Central Jail Road on the East and State Central Library on the West encompassing four acres of land. The college is affiliated to the Manipur University, Manipur. For girls, G.P. Women’s College is an exciting centre of academic excellence.
The College offers General and Honours courses in the streams of Arts and Science leading to the Bachelors Degree of the Manipur University. The subjects available for Honours course in both the streams are as follows:
- Political Science
- Home Science
- Home Science
• To provide equal access to education for women so as to enable them to carry the gender equality into effect;
• To motivate women for a greater involvement of them in science and technology by evolving a scientific temper and an awareness of latest technology among them;
• To participate actively in game and sports to raise the standard of performances at national and international level;
• To participate in the cultural programmes to uphold the tradition of the rich cultural heritage of the state and
• To provide the awareness of health and nutrition to women in view of the high risk of malnutrition, diseases and health problems of women.
To impart knowledge to the women to bring about their advancement, growth, and empowerment with a view to making them realise their full potential.
Help to prepare educational professionals recognized for the quality and significance of their teaching, research, scholarship, service, outreach, and leadership. Provide widely recognized leadership in the improvement of teaching, learning, and the assessment of educational outcomes across the life span through research, scholarship, and technology. Provide leadership in the development of collaborative, professional relationships with schools, organizations, and other institutions focused on the improvement of education in schools, communities, and workplace settings. Enhance the effective and efficient management of the College.